Like most service clubs, Chaparral Women’s Club has minimum membership requirements. These requirements help guide us to be involved year-round but many members far exceed these expectations.
Our full membership criteria can be found in our by-laws but as an unofficial, quick summary, members are expected to do the following each service year
- Attend at least five (5) general meetings
- Earn ten (10) service points
- Pay dues
- Attend Gala
- Raise funds and sell gala tickets
General meetings are at 7 p.m. on the fourth Thursday of the month and usually at Rio Grande on N. Mays in Round Rock.
Many members arrive as early at 6 p.m. to socialize and order drinks or dinner. Social/happy hour is so important, we took an official drink poll to share with you. At a general meeting you are likely to see 22% sipping a margarita, 25% having a Mexican martini, 44% enjoying beer or wine and 9% drinking water, soda or tea. And naturally, chips, salsa, queso and guacamole are plentiful 100%.
For Prospective Members
To be considered for active membership, prospective members must:
1. Attend a “Prospective Member” orientation: the Membership Chairperson will host two orientation options for prospective members. This important session covers what you need to know about service projects, committee assignments and more. The Prospective Member Orientation is an informational and social time for prospective members, officers, and club members. Active members will be on hand to discuss both the Club’s involvement in the community and answer any questions. Application for membership and orientation may take place immediately following the meeting. Those who accept the membership requirements will be invited to attend our first general membership meeting in August.
2. Pay $50.00 membership dues before August 31st: the Treasurer will collect a check from each member for the service year. Checks should be made to Chaparral Women’s Club and must be turned in before August 31st. Late fees will apply after August 31st.
3. Attend at least five (5) general membership meetings: Members are required to attend five of the nine regular meetings; attendance is recorded by the Club Secretary. Reminders will be issued throughout the year
4. Earn a total of ten (10) points through participation and support of club functions: Throughout the year, members will be offered many service opportunities. Participation ranges from volunteering and service to providing refreshments or donations. Points will be awarded to each member participating in a service project based upon the level of participation. Points earned accumulate over the course of the year (August through May) to meet Membership requirements. Member requirements include at least one (1) three point project per service year.
Three points are earned for donations of time and service to a project.
One point will be given for donations of supplies or food for a project.
5. Seek donations in the amount of at least $250: With direction, a new member must pursue and collect auction items, program advertising, or sponsorship money for the annual fundraising Gala. A combination of auction, advertising or sponsorship is allowed to reach the minimum goal of $250.
6. Purchase one pair and sell one pair of tickets to the annual fundraising Gala: Typically priced around $175 per pair, each member is required to purchase tickets and attend the fundraising event. In addition, you are responsible for selling another pair of tickets. Ticket prices vary per year.
7. Work Gala as directed by Gala Co-chairs: Each member is assigned a gala committee with which they will work to prepare for the fundraiser, and is also assigned a task and work shift during the evening of the fundraising gala. Work duties range from seating VIP’s, checkout at the end of the evening, or even hosting a game!
8. Execute a “New Member” service project: As a group, the new members will execute a team project in the community before the January meeting. When completed, the team will make a special presentation to the members and report on the project at the January meeting. This project is not eligible for service project points.
For more information, please contact our Membership Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo courtesy of #WOCinTechChat